Friday 30 March 2012

Does NPS Evolve in Organisations? My Virgin Media Experience

As I received my nice e mail from my friends at Virgin Media, post a service interaction I had with them, but more of that a little later, asking me to participate in a survey. This then got me thinking about if organisations can be segmented into groups according to how they look at loyalty or NPS measurement.

Stating the blindingly obvious, there are no commercial organisations (solvent ones) that when asked are customers important they give a big resounding “NO”. However, when one digs a bit deeper and tries to get under the skin of organisations a natural order of things quickly emerge.

Ascent of NPS picture
Where is your Company on Here?

Firstly you have those companies that know about NPS but are just too busy to put it in their business, as its not high on their priorities – they are obviously focusing on “other strategies!”.

The next group have seemingly outsourced loyalty to the marketing team as “its customers...isn’t that the domain of marketing..far too unimportant to bother the CEO”.

The third group is interesting as they have things in place, tend to be pretty slick but are constantly analysing and re-segmenting for greater insight - To quote Nike “Just Do it”...just start to do things to effect traction.

The penultimate group again have everything in place, loyalty is central to the organisation – absolutely brilliant! However, get so focused on NPS, improving traction, monitoring improvement, which they forget to keep the customer informed about what is happening. All the great work is totally invisible to the customers. As far as they are concerned all they ever do is complete surveys and hear zip.

Finally the ideal state is all of the above but then the organisation actually closes the emotional loop and tells us simple customers what they are doing & the effect we have made on them. 

This gets me back to Virgin Media... I thought, “Here we go another survey that will be lost in the corporate cloud...what’s the point completing it? I have better things to do...” As a CX professional this is a tad grating but I am compelled to complete it as its what I tell our customers.

To my delight and surprise I was then directed to here. An absolutely fantastic experience where humble customers (yes we who pay the cheques or checks in the US) can see how and what our feedback is driving in simple, measurable, actionable and quantifiable manner. 

All the things we talk about at Blairgowrie and I was converted from a passive to a promoter that is prepared to write a blog about it. But it does make me ask the question of organisations where do they sit on my chart – all feedback welcome.


Ps. For the record Virgin Media are not a customer of ours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment